PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2011, 01:22
Diagnostic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@DozyWannabe:

While I appreciate your posts and I learn from your comments, I cannot let the following go without commenting:

Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
More than 30 UAS incidents in the A330/340 passed without incident.
I respectfully suggest that saying "without incident" is an over-simplification, which may be unhelpful in diverting attention away from the (IMHO very relevant) information about what happened on previous UAS incidents where enough info was gathered for BEA investigation.

Check Interim report 2, PDF page 51 onwards, and you'll see these points. Note that only 13 UAS incidents had sufficient data available for the BEA to do a sensible review of them. Sure, none of the other flights crashed, but several were not handled according to the QRH, not all of them went into Alt* law meaning that subsequent actions cannot sensibly be compared to AF447, etc. etc.

My view is that where the detailed data is available to allow a reasonable analysis, there were systemic issues in UAS handling shown in that data for several other flights (e.g. failing to recognise that UAS had occcurred, not correctly disconnecting the FD, incorrectly re-connecting the AP during the UAS event etc. etc.). In other words, some holes in the swiss cheese did line-up in other UAS incidents, but just not all of the holes as on AF447.

The evidence is clear in that section of Interim report 2, that (in the 13 events where sensible analysis could be done) incorrect & potentially dangerous handling of some other UAS events has occurred. IMHO, that is not consistent with the statement of "without incident", unless you mean "without crashing", which is not a great measurement

Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
If not being able to see/feel the other pilot's sidestick was a safety concern, more of them would have crashed
Due to the points above, the actual sample size of comparable UAS incidents is so small that, given the (thankfully) low rate of crashes anyway, I believe the sample size is too small to support your assertion regarding whether more of them "would have crashed" or not. I'm not asking you to agree with me