PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2011, 20:21
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BOAC: I think ATPL & 'retired' will thwart most Nigerian bank scam artists.

Then we both agree that both elevators should show a full down deflection.
CONF: I generally agree with most of what you post also (not everything of course, being a pilot ). You can tell an actual 330 pilot (but as the old joke goes, you can't tell him much). I appreciate your general objective outlook & knowledge.

On the technical side, if the Flight Data block did not display a green or amber 0.XX 'G' indication (something less than 1 'G') and result in nose down movement as one would expect with a full nose down SS command, then at least as far as the simulation, overall pitch authority appears to be lacking at this point. If full nose down SS did not move the nose down, I would also make the assumption that neutral SS independent of pilot input would not have resulted in nose down? Can the gross effect on aero AOA be indirectly inferred from the lack of change in pitch and the same lack of change in the Flight Data displayed (or in the case of 1 'G' probably not displayed) inertial load factor?

I think objective discussions of Phase 3, both aircraft and human factors, & simulation overall are not unreasonable discussion items as references to both are contained in Interim #3 (somewhat extensive when it comes to Phase 3), although, as others, even with what was reported available I subjectively feel Phase 3 should never have been entered. Aircraft handling comparisons borne of 320 or other aircraft experience are interesting at least, possibly valid at best, but unsubstantiated to varying degrees.

(These internet discussions of accidents provide certain educational value and a dubious 'entertainment' experience that obviously does not in anyway substitute for an in-depth accident investigation being conducted by true experts, nor diminish the tragedy of the whole thing.)

There are posters (not you) who 'define' themselves into unassailable positions of no practical value. There's a lot to be learned here I feel, but certainly not as much as is to be learned from the actual investigation. Everyone here, bona fides or not, is I would think entitled to a spirited aviation discussion. Discriminating is the watch word.

(BTW, many standard training simulators (sim only feature) incorporate the capability to selectively artificially monitor, for example, flight data package AOA & beta or other selectable parameters where normally VOR DME 1 & 2 would be displayed on the ND. This can at times be educational also, at least to a 'sim-geek'.)

EDIT: For TTex, even with triple ADR failure and multiple electrical failures you will still have an ISIS.