PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2011, 17:58
Organfreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Dozy

Organfreak, let's be clear here - I'm not saying that the pilots were incompetent and I'm not saying the software or design is perfect. I'm saying that this incident appears to be caused by a systemic problem when it comes to training, as well as a significant safety blind spot when it comes to how AF was rostering flights once the UAS problem was known and highlighted.
I do appreciate your attempt to clarify your views, and that gives me the opportunity to apologize if I was harsh with you. I don't disagree with any of the above, except your apparent view that the accident had only one cause. I can never keep my mouth shut when I see over-simplification (IMO). Clearly, there was a training problem, and horrible/non-existent CRM.

I get annoyed with the yoke/sidestick argument because it is a *distraction* - there is no quantitative evidence to suggest it would have made a difference, and what we have is a few posters (not all of whom are pilots) with an axe to grind trying to make the argument all about them and their prejudice.
Nor is there any evidence whatsoever that it would not have helped in this situation. YOU CAN'T KNOW THAT! Do I get to take this point? I repeat an earlier utterance: As a SLF, I want my plane to be as foolproof as humanly possible! No-one is suggesting that, based on one accident, SSs should be ripped out and replaced with yokes, fer cryin' out loud.