PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC130 down in Hawaii, 5 dead
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2011, 15:41
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Reverseflight:

I have no connection with BH but they've had a longer and safer record than any of the other present or past companies operating in Hawaii, a credit to the hard work the Chevaliers have done over the years.
I have no connection with them either, and I also give credit to Dave for the hard work towards safety he has contributed. I worked with him as a member of the FAA appointed Hawaii Air Tour Safety Working Group, (HATSWiG), during my time in Hawaii.

They do not have a "longer and safer" record than all the other companies on the islands however. The one I flew for has been in business the same amount of time, if not longer and had zero fatal accidents and only one hard landing. There are two other companies that spring to mind that have had less accidents.

What is ironic, is that I flew for a "bottom feeder" company for a few months to get my "foot in the door". They had hidden switches to turn off the hobbs meters, broken compasses, aircraft pieced together with "unapproved and undocumented" parts, and were able to claim a "perfect safety record". (This company subsequently had a fatal accident and was shut down by the FAA, and bulletins circulated world wide about "unapproved parts").

How and with what factors do we define "safest"? If by safest we mean a companies attitude towards safety: then yes, I would probably go with your comment about Blue. From what I gather most, if not all of the "questionable" companies no longer operate in Hawaii. (And if you have flown there, you will know which ones I mean).

Attitude towards safety also includes the pilot. There have been numerous accidents in Hawaii where the pilot could have turned around. One comes to mind where the pilot thought he was better than he was because of his training. He killed himself plus 5.

Another one was where the pilots all received a monthly bonus if all the tours were conducted in less time that the "tour minutes" sold. He had a choice to turn around, but this would add 20 minutes to the monthly total. This time would need to be "shaved off" the remaining tours in the month. This company mindset in my opinion was criminal. This pilot flew through a rain shower, even though all the other tour helicopters turned around, and crashed into the ocean ultimately killing 2 passengers. He was charged with manslaughter---I do not know the outcome of the proceedings.

Pilots need to comprehend that taking off is optional---landing is mandatory. As one who was has been there, done that, the "subliminal pressure" from companies to complete flights is huge. Until you are faced with it, you have no comprehension.

Gordy, do I know you ?
Not sure.
Were you in the RAF? I flew on Nimrods from 84 thru 90
Did you fly in the San Francisco Bay area? I flew there from 90 thru 98.
Did you fly on Kauai? I flew there from 98 thru 05.
I spent one year back at HAI/Bristow as they are now, in 05/06 and now travel on fire contracts nationwide.