PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Force Structure
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2011, 13:08
Capt P U G Wash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure how a thread on (flawed in my opinion as it looks remarkably like we have just up-ranked our Station Commanders) RAF C2 arrangements became a discussion on comparisons on RN vs RAF force structures – but, in for a penny….

The big difference between the 2 services is that most RAF deployed units are away from their day job and routine training. The RN are able to do them mostly in the same time and space when afloat. If we are doing fair comparisons you would have to look at all tasks/commitments, not just those outside the UK.

The real question might be how many RN personnel are deployed today away from their role or training reqt, compared to RAF?

If we are going to use USN comparisons, let’s see some numbers on Carrier Air Groups/Wings vs numbers of Carriers and let’s see some figures on deployed time away vs US based trg.

Arcanum raises a good point (and one that is acknowledged by the USN), a CAW will lose many skills over time on deployment (apart from the ability to land on a heaving deck for which they get very good at) – they get away with it by having another CAW ready to take their place – we will not have that luxury. We will need a different model, because we can’t afford the USN one. That could mean more simulation (including deck landings) and regular UK-based ship-borne training opportunity just off UK shores - it is how we did it with Ark and JFH with bi-annual short deployments for wider collective training and engagment. This will avoid the huge costs of maintaining a semi-permanently deployed asset which will slowly erode tactical skill sets, harmony and resource. Better to keep it on a close tether, accept a slightly longer deployment time, train near home, save money and preserve capacity for when you need it.

I have nothing but respect for the hard working RN sailors – but I can’t help wondering that they are paying the price for an RN hierarchy that is trying to create the illusion (and pressure) for an East of Suez, world-wide Navy, when they have the funding for one that needs to limit its ambition. Truth is, if we declared the real cost of the RN that the Naval Board would like, the conclusion in the next SDSR may very well be to reduce it further and limit its role….Sailors are working harder because they are pawns in a game of brinkmanship on resource and task. I accept that the other 2 services are no different but, as has proved the case in the Army they may have slack to give - the RN can't raise the true cost of personnel and running costs because it would bite in to ship numbers - Catch 22! Hence the need to seek savings from others and their constant carping from their retired grandees (and friendly posters).

Last edited by Capt P U G Wash; 12th Nov 2011 at 13:29.