PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collision Avoidance System
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2011, 10:39
ScottyM45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing is some aircraft are recorded taxiing at quite high speeds, as for the certifying body it must include some of the worst case situations. Taking into account these speeds, wet weather and aircraft weight the sensing/stopping distance increases as the pilot needs to be warned earlier.
However slower speeds can allow for a shorter distance and will be taken into account in the design of the system.

As for the choice of aircraft, I understand that a B777, A340/80 would be a more logical choice for the design of the system, however it may be possible to have the system finished off after the project at university, manufactured and certified to be tested on a B737 with a willing operator. Also the concept of the system will allow me to install it on various different types of aircraft, obviously installation and space requirements will be different.

A physical visit to a hangar would be incredibly useful, however I do not have the contacts to do so, plus they have to be willing to let me see inside the winglet access panel and I doubt I will have much luck with. Hence I have been brought here to see if I can get any documentation/photos etc.

737 have been involved in many wing tip collisions, such as two ryanair 737's collided into each other damaging both wings in 2010, even though the risk is greater with large aircraft it still happens across the whole aviation sector.

Many Thanks!
Scott