PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2011, 10:11
Old Carthusian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC
Of course artificial horizon will tell you if you are climbing - what do you think the gap between the horizon line and whatever symbol is used for the aircraft means? Yes it means your nose is raised but it also can be used to ascertain that the aircraft is climbing. OK here I am guilty of simplfying a bit (which is a problem for me, I value brevity and expect others to understand this.) but then so are you - it serves both purposes very adequately. What it will not tell you is your rate of climb, you need the altimeter for that and if you quoted in full you would have included my mention of the the altimeter.
The instruments are there to provide an indication of the results of your inputs. Without them you are very much guessing every flight and they are certainly more reliable than your personal impressions. As for AF447 I suspect that BEA knows pretty much what the PFs instruments were reading - they may not have chosen to release the information but they do have it. Everything released though points to a psychological reaction by the PF which was not dealt with adequately by the captain or PNF. It does not point to any problem with the aircraft. Your final point is a straw man argument - if there is no reported problem with the PFs instruments then there is no reason to impute a problem.
Retired F4
Memory - a very unreliable thing especially were flying is concerned. It's nice to be so assured about every flight you've participated in but me I cannot. I have to check and then maybe I can summon up a reliable memory. If I disqualify my memory then I also have to mistrust your memory.