PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The shortest runway you have ever landed wth jet?
Old 12th Nov 2011, 03:24
jrudge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A citation used to live at Elstree. 600 Mtrs. They even installed a jet a1 pump to fill it up. I was there one evening trying to fly, there was an almighty noise and it crashed.

It tried to go round, decided it was a bad idea, and just stopped dead in the middle of the runway. The tires were burst and the wings bulging on top where the uc had pushed through and the tail cone was bent where it had hit the ground.

It was vp registered and rumoured to be public transport. I wandered over once it had all calmed down in a suit and they thought I was the caa which given their reaction was quite funny. Great flurry of paperwork. They looked very guilty. it took 12 hours to get a crane and remove it.

Short field. It works but watch out!

EDIT FOLLOWING PM

To clarify following a PM with the comment below. The a/c applied power to seek to arrest the decent as opposed to go around. The dents in the wings were merely my recolection of something that happend some 10 years ago, but happy to stand corrected. Lifting kit was bought in from Biggin to jack it up not crane it. ATC just said lifting kit so I assumed that they meant they craned it off. Finally rumours are just rumours and flying clubs bars all have a view. There was no desire to be inaccurate. I was about 100ft from it what it happened.

My only purpose in posting was to point out that the bravado of short field in a jet is all well and good, but it can go wrong.

Last edited by jrudge; 12th Nov 2011 at 13:12.