PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2011, 23:23
Old Carthusian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The shoal continues to multiply. Gentlemen this accident is about perception and psychological factors. It is nothing to do with the machine. I have consistently mentioned 'Know your machine'. In my view, the flight crew didn't and here I have to break cover. In my view they were incompetent and unsuitable to be flying an aircraft - their lack of professionalism and disregard for the procedures caused an accident in a recoverable situation. In my view they were part of a culture that had developed in Air France based on arrogance and casualness. I referred some threads ago to the Clipper Skipper syndrome - pilots who could do no wrong and didn't have the skills needed. Some of you should go and read up on the Pan Am accidents in the 1970s. In my view Air France their airline cut training and ignored important aspects of flying - they also are culpable.
As for the arguments that the instruments are unreliable I have never seen so many straws being grasped in one go. Read the reports again - the instruments were functioning effectively. It was the flight crew who didn't know what to do. NO CRM, No SOPs, No UAS procedure just frozen incomprehension. A yoke wouldn't have helped here at all. NO training, No chain of command. This is a human disaster not a machine failure. We must be realisitic here this is a pilot failure brought on by poor procedures. This was not an extreme case - this was an unusual situation which could have been recovered and has been in other situations. AirTren talks about information when perception is the key. Why did the crew ignore the stall warning? Why did they ignore their reliable instruments? They were not up to the job - that is the real cause of the accident.