PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hero pilot Richard de Crespigny takes sides with Qantas in IR war
Old 11th Nov 2011, 18:40
teresa green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calm down Hot Dog, as a 89er I know how these blokes feel, they feel let down by one of their own, they know that divided they fall, and as you well know that is exactly what happened to us, and it is a shock to the system when it happens. Mate with mate or so you thought. The gentleman in question aired his views to a journo, that hurts, the gentleman in question does not agree with most of his fellow pilots, that hurts to, but there will be plenty more like him, you know that to, though most wisely keep their thoughts to themselves. For him like those in 89 that were perceived to go against their fellow pilots, life can be hard, you need a lot of strength, a lot of support and you end up dreading going to work, as the flight deck becomes a fridge (and it has nothing to do with A/C packs) and it is lonely up the track, and you often resort to just talking to C/C if they are not aware of your position. Believe me I have seen it all. And it never goes away, only last year I witnessed at a retired pilots reunion, four blokes having a beer, a shall we say non supporter walked up, the beers went on the table and four blokes went in four directions, leaving our hero on his own. Childish perhaps, but you had to be there to realise it was not to them. He has chosen a difficult path, he is also entitled to his opinion, degrading him as a pilot is not wise, even if you are filthy, and entitled to be so, he has set a path for himself, and I for one am glad I never had to travel that path, I saw the results for those that ventured on it, its a painful way to live and work, mainly because Australians believe in mateship, sticking together in times of war and stress, they don't take kindly to those that they perceive have let them down. It will be interesting to see how he travels that path.