PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dining In, Dining Out and Mess Fun
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2011, 11:53
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Old-Duffer
The 1 Group Dinner is a great story but is it true?

The dinner must have taken place between Nov 56 and May 59 and the CinC for the period was Broadhurst and the AOC 1 Gp was AVM G A Walker both long departed.

It's a great story, strong on the action but weak on the veracity.

Old Duffer
O-D, no, all true. BB and Gus were guests and not in post. It was in 1965 as it was the 25th anniversary. It would have been around June-July and crews used to do annual refresher training at the OCU and BCBS every year and it came around like clockwork. I was at Lindholme that day and returned to Cottesmore that night.

All I will say is that we left Lindholme in sufficient time to arrive at Waddo at our designated slot time. There were 34 navs on the bus but only one staff navigator as opposed to nav radar. I remember passing the Liberal Club in Lincoln before turning left into Broadgate. We arrived at the mess with immaculate timing on the minute - only problem we were at Scampton.

This was not too important as we still had some beer remaining in the barrels that had been thoughtfully installed to deaden the pain.

Anything else you require verification I am happy to answer.

usual excuses and waivers apply