PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slipped Disc. Can I lose my medical because of it?
Old 10th Nov 2011, 18:59
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not a medically qualified person but had a lot of back problems in my late 20s early 30s due to be shoved through the side of a single seater race car after being T boned by another car doing 100 mph.

Frankly my best advice to you is do nothing medically. Get fit! Loose weight and get mobile.

Walking is great as are exercises which make you more supple.

A great exercise is to lie flat on your stomach pushing your pelvis into the floor then arching your back up with your arms.

The only guy I know who had an operation ended up as bad as before so avoid that route unless your half dead.

In my 40s i went back into rowing. Skulling in particular is wonderful as it stretches your whole spine and muscles. After rowing which at one point in my 50s I was rowing 25 miles a week my back had never been better.
So my un medical advice is keep mobile as far as you can and as you get better exercise more and more.

Forget the painkillers and all the other mumbo jumbo as well as osteopaths who will click you here and there charge a fortune and after 3 months when you would have got better anyway claim it was their treatment that cured you!!! Until the next time!

At one point the whole of the back of my foot went numb and I could not stand on tip toe with the one foot! I was told to live with it as it was unlikely to improve. Scan said impact bruising to the spinal chord.

Climbing hills 3 times a week dispelled that theory as all the feeling came back and no probs since.

Get the Gist????

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 10th Nov 2011 at 19:14.