PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew
Thread: BA Cabin Crew
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2011, 13:42
Curious Pax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm surprised management culture hasn't come up so far in this thread. In a large organisation particularly, the culture of the company is set from the top 2-3 levels of management.

I also work for a large (non-aviation) organisation, and we have an arm that a few years ago was managed by an obnoxious know-it-all who managed by confrontation both within his own division and with other parts of the company, and this attitude was reflected all the way down the line of that division. After a while he moved to another post, and his successor was totally different - collaborative in every way. Within 3 months the character of interaction with that division had changed dramatically for the better, leading to a better atmosphere for all concerned. The productivity and right-first-time stats also improved, so people were working at least as hard, but the new culture was much more suited to better outcomes all round.

I didn't experience the before and after, but I understand that generally speaking this is the effect that Gordon Bethune had when he turned Continental around.

Perhaps we are loking in the wrong place for the source of the problem?