PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew
Thread: BA Cabin Crew
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2011, 12:20
Captain_Bling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I cannot comprehend despite reading every single post in this thread is HOW some (not all) cabin crew can lapse into being this rude.

I have observed, studied and even applied for the training they undergo to get the job in the first place and I can vouch for just how difficult it is. Any new graduate from such a program would be the model of customer service excellence even though they'd probably be quite nervous at first.

I think thats where the problem lies. CC settle into their roles, relax a bit, and then it become mundane. Slowly their lives and jobs become burdened with company bull***t and rude passengers (yes passengers are rude more often than crew) and as a result their passion for what they do wanes. It happens to people in all organisations where the company neglects its staff in favour of short term gain.

During BA's prosperity days I received superb service from them, after 9/11 and the paranoia that came in its wake they were jumped up, edgy and actually gave me a primary school telling off after i made a harmless joke at check in. I know what you're thinking, rest assured the joke really was harmless, only someone under massive duress would have taken it any other way.

I've applied for several cabin crew positions but am always turned down on account of the Pilot Training i've done. I would kill to have their jobs and yet the airline says 'no'. I've done mimimum wage jobs where I've endured hell from customers and management for next to nothing in return and always presented myself in a friendly way. I'm not particularly special, I just care about what I do - but that said, even I could lose it one day and snap if somebody pushed me hard enough.

And that raises the question of "just how much cr*p are crew forced to endure to turn them this way despite their training?" What kind of circumstances would force someone who cares to adopt a looking down their nose attitude as a coping strategy?

Its true that airlines would rather each passenger was paying £3000 a seat, economically it makes sense despite it being inviable. But its not true that they condone a way of thinking that rear passengers or any passengers for that matter are an inconvenience. They may say it as a joke, casual banter to ease tension, but its not something to be overheard or taken seriously. Any airline that preached such a philosophy would get straight minded staff like me walking out in disgust and that would cripple their reputation.

At the end of the day they are there to make money and lots of it. But to do this they need to serve and serve well. Which brings me round in a loop to my opening line - why don't quality control managers open their eyes and take note of the rudeness on display? Only 1 in 4 p*ssed off people make a formal complaint sure but feedback does reach the airlines. Virgin have a massive call centre in Swansea, Wales just to take such feedback.

The problem I think resides in human nature. Our behaviour mirrors our internal state of mind to a greater extent. Sure, you can hide your irritation behind a charming smile but for how long? Would you then take it out on someone who totally didn't deserve such as a passenger who just wanted another pillow or your kids when you got home? Companies need to have an ethos where staff can express their concerns freely, at appropriate times and not work constantly in fear of losing their jobs if management find out they dont like something. Take Emirates for example, they have an outstanding corporate culture and they score top notch for service not just business class. Coincidence? True, they're a tough company to get into but thats the whole point, only those who REALLY care can get in, as oppose to those who fake it. And once the good guys and girls are in, they STAY good or get even better with time. This is the blueprint for true customer service excellence. So why can't the majority of organisations be arsed to adopt it? I have no answer to that one - if anyone does please let me know.