PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2011, 12:16
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tjef many thanks for clarifying (at long last) the identity of the aircraft used in the filming of the 'Spy Who Loved Me.'

In 1983/84 HH had the two Jet Rangers G-BBUY & G-BBCA. "CA" was always on low skids and "UY" on Pop-Outs. I have a picture of "UY" in its splendid Orange & White scheme which I can put on here.
Yes it all comes back. Didn't realise that I had been in both these craft! An image of BBCA appears on page 41 and on page 16 BBUY (in which Dennisimo had some involvement) can be seen wearing her Air Anglia livery. Please do post a shot of her!

Some of the things we did in those days would have been frowned upon and highly illegal now!
I think many of us could say something similar. The 'age of innocence' has all but past and with it much of the (sometimes) frivolous spontaneity which at times could be quite entertaining! It has all become somewhat 'serious' for many in recent decades.

Finally, I wonder why was N152AL flying on an "Experimental" Airworthiness certificate when it crashed?
From the accident report:

The operator reported that the helicopter was being used for the development of a helicopter autopilot system ..
Oh, and the reasonably young chap was probably Howard Mersey ..
Well if you speak with him please convey that Bob Smith's godson extends his regards.

Anyone know of any pictures of WG30 G-KATE while she was owned by Helicopter Hire but was mostly leased to British Airways Helicopters?
From page 28:

Dennisimo mentioned John's daughter (whom he taught to fly) and Helicopter Hire's WG30 G-KATE (below).

Helicopter Hire's WG30 G-KATE (so named after John's daughter) seen at Plymouth on 2nd June 1984. John Crewdson's name appearing beneath the forward door. (Photo: Chris England).

If I have my facts straight the craft was leased from Westland before being sold to British International in 1989. Check out the curvature on the main rotor blades compared say with an S76!

Westland WG30-100 G-BIWY at the 'Beehive', London Gatwick, in May 1982 (Photo: Richard Vandervord)