PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2011, 09:27
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@CONF - "Dozy didn't answer" because he was out at work, so he can continue to pay for the privilege of joining in these delightful discussions. There have been too many LOC accidents in yoke-equipped airliners for the argument that it would have made a difference to stick, and we've already been round that hamster wheel more than once.

@gums - Your aerodynamic knowledge is beyond question, but both Alternate 1 & 2 are "roll direct" [Correction - Alt 2 is roll direct, yay early morning!]. The crews may be "trained in Normal", but in the sim there wasn't that much difference between Normal and Alternate roll handling. It was more sensitive outside the stall, but it took me all of a few seconds to get used to. Also, it looks like the trim is a red herring and the aircraft can be recovered in approximately 5,000ft on sidestick alone *even with full nose-up trim wound in*.

However - in the sim, the TRE noticed that I was trying aileron in the stall sequence and told me to use rudder instead. On this occasion he was standing over the pedestal having just wound the trim on and he could obviously see what I was doing in order to tell me not to do it.

This discussion isn't going anywhere until people start listening to each other and not just making assumptions based on their own prejudice against a specific design. I've never ignored anyone on this forum in my life until Lyman, and if I keep hearing "HAL" used to describe the Airbus system, those that use it are likely to join him.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 10th Nov 2011 at 12:59.