PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reduced Versus Full Takeoff Thrust
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2011, 08:53
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
barit1,

You had me worried for a moment, until I did a re-read of your tounge in cheek remark, which, to me, ends this whole discussion. If an engine manufacturer just loves full thrust takeoffs in the name of increased revenue for them from spare parts sales, that says it all

Doubters should take a good look at an Engine stress Vs Engine life graph which pretty much says it all, reduce the thrust (if possible), and increase the engine life and likelyhood of Engine failure DRAMATICALLY. I don't have the facility to post diagrams, but will have it done by a fellow prooner (my son). That one diagram is worth a thousand words.

TakeTheHighRoad, SSG, and all of your other mutant offspring, It seems that you have taken issue with one of the regular contributors here, who is part of the back-bone of PPRune. May I refer you to a contributor who:-

(1) Has an incredibly long career as a Professional Pilot and Performance Engineer for a MAJOR airline,

(2) Has vast experience on small to VERY large aircraft in that, and other airlines,

(3) Receives Boeing and engine manufacturer data directly from them, and returns it if faulty, which these major manufacturers accept,

(4) Very gracefully accepts correction if he makes an extremely rare mistake,

(5) Is an absolute gentleman of unparalleled restraint when insulted by FOOLS. He obviously belongs to the school of thought that if an insult is given, but not accepted, the insult remains with the person initiating it.

I have learned a lot from his sharing his considerable experience.

He goes by the name of Mutt on these forums

On a personal take, most discussion regarding use of Flex/Reduced thrust centres on cost saving. It's a very valid and truthful point, but, even if it were not, I would (and do) use Flex/Reduced thrust for every Takeoff possible in the interests of safety, such safety enhancement emanating from very significantly reduced engine stress, thus leading to a very significantly reduced probability of engine failure

This was an otherwise good thread for all pilots. Unfortunately it has been soiled by you, TakeTheHighRoad, SSG, and all of your other mutant offspring. Do us all a favour and ... or, as my good colleague Jack Macdonald once observed to me many decades ago .. in respect of a court martial in which he was a material witness .. "He said 'Go away, or words to that effect, Sir". (I have to play with extreme even-handedness) - JT

Now, let the sane debate continue.........

Best Regards,

Old Smokey (who does not share Mutt's degree of restraint.

Last edited by Old Smokey; 11th Nov 2011 at 01:03. Reason: Small Correction