PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2002, 20:05
John Purdey

CHINOOK

Uncle Peter: Many thanks for your eurudite exposition, but I draw your attention again to their Lordships' opinion which (para 147 of their Report, and in the key paragraph) said that '"The question to be answered is whether there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that they ought to have forseen that their action would in all probability occasion the final event" In other words, they knew that what they were doing would cause them to crash. Do you really accept that? Come off it!
I say again that this is a definition of recklessness, or even of suicidal intent rather than one of negligence.

M134. Not at all clear what you mean by "turning as if by magic".

Chocks Wayhay. What do you mean, 'we do not know what the weather was where the aircraft was'? I mean, how many witnesses on the spot do you need beyond ten to tell you that the weather up there was very bad and in fog? Either all ten were wrong, or the aircraft was being flown along in VMC, or it was on some kind of auto-pilot. Which do we prefer?

Fellas, I don't like the conclusion any more than the rest of you; but I think you should, however reluctantly, face the facts. And if you can offer any other explanation than the one I have now given several times, then there really is no point in continuing with these exchanges.

With warm good wishes, and in great sadness as I contemplate the terrible loss of all these good people, especially by the way, the helpless passengers in the back of the Chinook, Regards. John Purdey