PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civilian Pilot to Military Pilot
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2011, 07:19
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The OASC experience tells you that you are not suited to military flying. It does not by itself indicate you are unsuited to flying generally.
That's a wee bit of a loose statement. I take your point that, taken as a whole, OASC is geared to military flying. But elements of it are geared just towards flying training...full stop. And aptitude is aptitude. You may skew the measurement for different purposes, but only between narrow limits.

I would suggest that a very low aptitude score at OASC is a least an indicator of potential problems in any job requiring good aptitude.

And its not just a theory. I have seen first hand quite a few people whose desire to fly has overcome their common sense and awareness of their capabilities and limitations.

The resulting outcome is usually a fairly large bank transfer from Joe Bloggs to We Fleece Em Flying School Limited.

eg 40K and growing for a foreign student who probably should not hold a PPL (which took 75 hours to gain) and last I heard was still struggling to solo in a complex type after 100+ total hours...light years from his CPL). I hazard a guess his aptitude would have been significantly south of mine, which was only 110 (many, many moons ago).

PS...An afterthought. I believe the Air League (which is a civvy organisation, offering civvy first solo scholarships use OASC aptitude tests as part of their selection procedure???