PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2011, 06:27
Voiceofreason

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You asked for it:

Rents up 22 per cent in Hong Kong as confidence returns to Asia* - ECA International

And to think that 10 secs of googling "hong kong rental property increase 2010" was difficult? Ooops!! I should've mentioned "TOO HARD" or I feel a sense of "ENTITLEMENT" to not need to serve facts as part of a discussion or debate??!
Oh dear. Rent = inflation? Try again. Not my fault you used the word "inflation" in your argument.

So, use my figures taken from the ACTUAL CEP contract offered me.
I HIGHLY doubt you were given any contract with the HKPA figures in there. How do I know? Because they aren't in there. It refers to a Pilot Allowance being paid in accordance with Company Policy. Therefore I conclude you haven't seen the contract at all.

I don't mind you quoting figures you have gleaned from somewhere and remain open to question, but when you state things as fact and categorical (which elsewhere in your post, you did) it becomes misleading.

The iCadets will not receive a "PAY" increase between now and 42 years? Who the hell ever said anything of the like?? Of course the "salary" side will go up periodically (once every 10 or so years seems to be the going average from the last hoopla and CC debacle - ooops! And they came back with AHK not even 2 weeks after the agreement! You showed them!!) The CEP HKPLA is not by means of the contract terms & conditions slated to CPI.
You insinuate that because the HKPA is not linked to any form of CPI adjustment, that it will therefore never increase. I was drawing attention to the inaccuracy of that insinuation by stating that my salary isn't either, and yet it just increased.

Who on earth budgets over what they are going to receive over the course of a 42-year career? Even if you attempt that, surely it's with a HUGE grain of salt given so many undefinable variables. You may be able to forecast the next 5-10 years POSSIBLY, but that's about it. My whole argument is that it is utterly pointless doing the kind of exercise you did in extrapolating out the HKPA over such a long period of time, and then factoring in some very hypothetical inflation rate. Both will undoubtedly change over time.

YOUR remuneration increased because YOU are a HK National.
Nope, all salaries increased recently. I became entitled to the HKPA I'm assuming for two reasons: 1) Because it became quite clear to management that we should get something - indeed, we've been harping on about it to the DFO for years. But, probably more importantly, 2) they realised they would attract no-one from overseas without it and the forgivable loan. Remains to be seen if those overseas can handle the DIRE conditions we put up with in HK on such a meagre allowance. No-one else has paid for it at all - only those who are willing to come on these terms do come. It's CX who will lose in the end if not enough come, not anyone else.

BTW, the arrival of the HKPA and forgivable loan had nothing to do with CC.

it's nothing but a damn insult from what the package should be,
What should it be? According to whom/what standard? Again, it's not insulting to me (or obviously the many, many NON-HK NATIONALS joining on it). What gives you the right to say what it should be? You don't like the offer - that much is painfully, irrevocably clear. You didn't accept it as a result. No problem.

Move on.

No one has argued on this forum about wishing to have been "born earlier" to have been on A-Scale. B-Scale
But that's effectively what you're saying when you say CX are insulting everyone and need to wind the clock back to the expat terms. THE TERMS OF THE OFFER HAVE CHANGED - DONE DEAL. ACCEPT THE NEW TERMS, OR DON'T - IT'S UP TO YOU. But it's quite clear that the only people who are going to decide what the package is are not going to be influenced by people complaining about it on here.

What you cannot deny is that this CEP by the terms & conditions it offers has borne a new breed of disgracefully low standards
Go down to ADL and tell that to the faces of the cadets on these courses. You show me EXACTLY how they are not up to the same standards of all other cadets who have passed through the system from the first time it started, and we can talk again. Your assumption that the people posting on here are the same ones CX are accepting is just a ridiculous leap of logic.

Finally, I'd just like to address your use of the words "despicable", "insulting", "disgusting" and the like. Can I simply ask: why are you so offended? If you feel your worth is higher than what you are being offered, that is entirely your decision. Go elsewhere and earn more. Others may choose differently, but does that REALLY make them "stooges" and "spineless"?

I think I've come out and given some fairly good reasons for why I think CX stopped offering expat terms, but I'll summarize them again:

1) With the RDO coming into force in HK, they can't pay different terms to people doing the same job.
2) They don't want to pay expat terms for all, because they are very expensive, and because there would then be little point in having the cadet program. I am not condoning this position, just stating it as I think management would have seen it.
3) Therefore, all new contracts must be on the same terms - improved local terms.

I think Baronblue has hit the nail square and centre on the head:

I think the deal is good for young guys with no experience as the potential over a career is great IF you accept that you are a local in Hong Kong and all that goes with that.
However, for experienced guys wanting to live an expat life Emirates is now the airline of choice with free housing, electric, water bills, 100% education, transport and a tax free income, popular celebrity location. Cathay just cannot compete, so it's relying on the in house home grown talent (the known quantity). Clearly if you want to go to Cathay these days it's because you want to live in Hong Kong.
I would only add emphasize again that for many, it's not ONLY about the money. Many would not want to move to the desert, and are more interested in life in HK, even if that means a lower package.

Fancy that, eh? We're not all mercenaries.