PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The origins of the Taceval
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2011, 04:34
The Blue Parrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mactlsm1

Ah, the Lossie Raft Race 1983, I remember it well. Most sections entered a raft, the race took place on a Sunday during the summer, most of the town and the camp were there (those playing or watching cricket excepted of course) and the ale flowed from the numerous waterside establishments, namely the Clifton at the time. The race itself normally lasted an hour or so with most, if not all, entrants heading for the bars afterwards to either celebrate or drown (excuse the pun) their sorrows. Circa 16:00 on that Sunday afternoon, the Hooter went off and most, if not all, trudged back to camp to report for TacEval Part 1. It would be a good estimate to say that at least 60% of the base was over the legal drink driving limit but not a problem for those who lived on base or on the Lossie patch. I for one, reported for work in the Radar Bay, certainly well over the limit and was told to stand down once my name was taken as having reported so no major drama!
As was the way with most TacEval Part 1s at ISL (this being the exception on a weekend), the Camp Hairdresser (aren't they all?), sorry, the Unit Hairdresser generally knew when the Team were due to hit either us or ISK as they were always accommodated at the 8 Acres in Elgin and news travelled fast! Happy Days!