PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Qantas grounded effective immediately.
Old 9th Nov 2011, 22:35
SimonBl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From ABC News' website a short time ago:

Labor Senator wants Qantas strike ban challenged
Posted November 10, 2011 10:03:35

A West Australian Labor Senator has defied the Government and urged the Transport Workers Union (TWU) to challenge Fair Work Australia's decision banning all industrial action at Qantas.

The union will reportedly meet the ACTU today to consider seeking a Federal Court stay on the decision.

If successful, the challenge could reignite action which led to the grounding of the airline almost two weeks ago.

Treasurer Wayne Swan says the Government's position is very clear.

"The Government would strongly oppose any attempt to challenge that decision of Fair Work Australia to terminate the industrial action from any party, from any union, or any employer," he said.

But Labor Senator and former Transport Workers Union official Glenn Sterle disagrees.

"Both parties have every legal option to challenge any decision all the way through and in all fairness to the members of the TWU at Qantas," he said.

"If I was a member of the TWU at Qantas, I would want them to pursue that.

"If Qantas are fair dinkum, Qantas tell us they're fair dinkum, well, sit down and negotiate. The TWU want, quite rightly, job security, and Qantas aren't prepared to come to the table and talk about job security."

The comments took another Labor Senator and former union boss, Doug Cameron, by surprise.

"That's news to me," he said.

"The Government's position as I understand it, unless there's been a change that I'm unaware of, is that the parties should sit down under the auspices of Fair Work Australia, negotiate in good faith, and bring about an end to the dispute.

Communications Minister Stephen Conroy has told Channel Nine he is confident the ruling by Fair Work Australia will stand up to any court challenge.

"The Government were careful about which way to use the act and which way to apply for the termination of the enterprise bargaining period," he said.

"We believe the decision taken by Fair Work Australia was the right decision; it was a sound, legal and robust decision."

Opposition Senator Eric Abetz has condemned the union's possible Federal Court challenge.

"All this mess and ongoing uncertainty is going to do further damage to public confidence in Qantas, as a result of which there will be further damage and disruption to the travelling public," he said.