PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2002, 18:33
John Purdey

CHINOOK

Chocks wahay, Many thanks for the reply. Just one substantive point; it was not my definition of negligence, but that of MOD (Air) at the time.
I really cannot weary our contributers by repeating yet again what I have asserted in my earlier postings. Everyone as far as I know has accepted that, because the pilots needed to make three manual selections in order to change to the next waypoint at waypoint change, and they did so, they must have been in control of the aircraft.
Just tell me this, and a straight answer would be helpful: Did the crew have, or have not have , the choice at waypoint change between 1. carrying on towards high ground covered in bad visibility, or 2. turning left around the coast, or 3. climbing to fly over it (either cruise climb or to safety altitude)?
No amount of speculation can alter the fact that they made the wrong decision. Just by the way, given that choice, what would you have done?
If the crew did not have that choice, then are you really saying that the aircraft was out of control at waypoint change, locked into a mode that the crew could not affect? Best regards. John