PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2011, 19:47
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
SS commands and actual control surface movements

Salute!

Beg pardon, but roll commands do not command a 1 for 1 deflection of either the spoilers or ailerons in Alt1 or Alt 2, only in "direct law". That's what my copy of the FCOM shows.

The commands except in "direct" are roll rates, and the "gains" are set by various inputs and other control surface settings. So no direct deflection of surfaces according SS deflection.

This is a fairly standard implementation for FBW jets. The rudder will move to help rolling and minimize adverse yaw. In the Viper, HAL would command the rudder to very large deflections when rolling at max rates and slow speed.

At high AoA's, I go with 'bird. Use rudder and not aileron for roll. Spoilers can reduce adverse yaw and such, but my understanding is that the outboard spoilers on the 'bus are inhibited once gear up. So the inboard spoliers may not have helped as much as rudder.

The CVR shows the PNF mentioning the "rudder bar" when PF had full SS deflection for roll and the jet was not responding. Here again, knowing you were stalled or approaching a stall might have changed the PF stick inputs. However, in view of most PF stick inputs and PF's possible lack of experience flying at extreme AoA , then I can see a bit of the rationale for roll inputs, but not pitch.

Sent by an old FBW pioneer.