PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - security, restore the balance of power
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2011, 15:13
Poltergeist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mathfox, I have always maintained that you can not achieve 100% security and keep an operation going no more than you can make air travel 100% safe.
It is about managing a risk and if you look at what I am saying we are in agreement. I believe it wrong to put the entire blame on the front end. Security until recently was purely reactive and the tragedy of 9/11 caused a knee jerk at the time and that was probably right. What has been wrong is that it appears to me that regulators have not stepped back, whether through fear or doubt. what is clear that risk management seems to have played little part and this is where we are working hard.
As for the magnetometers, this is 'old tech' and we are seeing more portal scanners being introduced. I can not speak for the TSA and its use of equipment but threats do vary nation to nation and what they ar looking for may not be what we are looking for if that makes sense.
a range of technologies and an approachable front end will actually keep people onside according to our research.

Inbalance - One of the problems we are facing. That should not have happened, prohibited items should travel in the hold. an example of interpretation of badly drafted directives!!!