PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civilian Pilot to Military Pilot
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2011, 12:09
Poose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civilian Pilot to Military Pilot

Hypothetical question,

"Can a civilian pilot get in the forces as a military pilot?"

My ambition from a young age was to fly in the military and either make a long career of it - or leave for a second career in the airlines after a 'good stint'.

I didn't make the grade on the Pilot Aptitude test at OASC when I was sixteen but was given a Flying Scholarship and told to come back at eighteen. I re-applied at eighteen and failed the aptitude test again. I was told that, since this was now my second attempt I was now barred from applying for Pilot with the RAF and by default the FAA. I was told that I had passed for the AAC - something about the testing being loaded slightly different.

Anyhow, I changed my branch choice to NCO Aircrew and completed part two of the selection. I was unsuccessful - but encouraged to reapply in eighteen months time with some 'life experience'. I was encouraged to join the TA by the Officer that was dealing with my application.

I joined the TA, enjoyed soldiering, did a degree in Engineering and eventually became a Troop Commander in the RA.
Come the end of my degree, I discussed the Regular Army with friends who were serving and a lot of them discouraged me from applying. So I never took it any further and resigned my Commission in 2006 when I graduated from University.

I am now working in Engineering and funding a CPL part-time with a view to the airlines.
Been thinking outside of the box lately and wondering whether or not the AAC or indeed either of the other services would be interested in me; bearing in mind I'm now thirty.

I just want to fly for a living - military or civil.

Thoughts or insights greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Poose; 9th Nov 2011 at 12:27.