PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ideas / suggestions for a twin
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2011, 04:58
Viator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AP68TP-600

The Vulcanair AP68TP-600 turboprop would fit the bill pretty nicely.
I have just completed my type rating on the one in Australia and the aircraft has exceeded my expectations.
This aircraft is about 50 knots faster than a Cessna Grand Caravan on the same fuel flow. And it has better STOL characteristics too, takeoff over 50' at MTOW is only 620 metres (2,040'). Combined with a trailing-link undercarriage, and the availability of reverse thrust the thing can be down and stopped in under 500 feet. Rough fields no problem.
This one appears to make book figures in cruise. At 10,000' we were getting exactly 210 KTAS at Recommended Cruise power. It is probably the most stable aircraft I have ever flown - a great IFR platform.
The one I flew had 8 seats installed: pilots, a forward club seating arrangement with well over a metre of legroom and about 6" more headspace than a P68C, plus another two seats aft. That leaves a huge space for bags etc. with few weight and balance issues.
It does have a MZFW limitation which limits the payload to ten standard occupants and no bags. The 'advantage' of that is that you can carry more fuel even when you have maximum payload: you can plan 445 air nm at 10,000' with IFR reserves at Recommend Cruise power.
Typically equipped you are looking at about 10% more dollars than a Grand Caravan. If you want to start logging twin turbine time you could recommend it to your Boss!