PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA AND THE IMCR - NEWS
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2011, 21:51
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timothy

I cant agree. Dumping a pilot out of the airways is never a good idea. He finds himself with a fragmented service at best ocas and possibly no service at all scrambling around low level with potentially no way of getting back into the system and working out a diversion on the fly. If the belief is eir pilots are some way short of the ir skill set this is a recipe for disaster.

No the pilot needs a reliable point to which they can descend pretty much assured of a further visual descent thereafter. Some point, any point, in the procedure to which they can be vectored would work as long as that point is within reason with the cone of the airport metar. In that much 9 times out of ten the pilot knows whether or not he can complete the procedure in vmc. If he cant before being dumped he can continue within the system to a suitable alternative.

I dont agree this would cause a problem. It is not that unusual for a pilot to request a visual approach once in vmc at a point in the procedure. I suspect most atc would be able to handle some traffic doing so. Moreover in reality i dont think any of use believe there will be droves of pilots going to the busy commercial airports as a result of the eir. Most pilots stay away because of the cost and hassle as it is - that will not change. The mid sized regional airports are hardly pushed it seems to me and have the flexibility to deal with the odd eir requesting vectors to descend and brk for a visual approach.