PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Military Planning for Iranian Strike?
Old 8th Nov 2011, 13:38
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
with your limited knowledge of what actually happened at a nuclear strike base. The crews knew nothing - other than studying their personal single target during their 3 year tour.
This statement is probably inaccurate.

If crews held QRA, on the UK model, each sqn would have had all crews capable of covering one or two high priority QRA targets.

If a crew was on leave was their target uncovered or did crews cover a seondary target? Again, on the UK model all crews covered a secondary target - that made 3 SACEUR targets.

I know that RAF F4 covered GAF F104 targets and the timings were hard to achieve given the F4s slow speed . That would suggest they had more than one secondary target.

Did they have any UK independent targets?

As for actual targets, in 1974, at Cranditz, we studied a particular RAFG target. What we did not have of course was the knowledge that it was a nuclear target nor did we have the DMPI and we did not have the tracks and timings.

Knowledge of the targets did not require a rocket scientist. What was really TS was the routing and timings.

For all SAM's undoubted expertise it is clear that he too did not have the big picture.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the case of Iran the targets will be well known to both sides and routes and timings will be the critcal secret.