PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces pension
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2011, 12:47
Party Animal

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually Al, I see it as an easy decision for the 30/50 year olds:

If you're 50'ish now then leave at 55 with 90% of the originally expected pension and have a minor top up at the age of 60. You will be pissed off and angry but it's managable and obviously, you will have already made the decision at your 44 point that you preferred to stick with the RAF till the end and not go chasing a decent second career while time was on your side.

If you're 30'ish now, then continue to enjoy what you can and maybe consider staying to your 38 point. But at that stage, you will be fully focussed on your second career in life with a view to rising up some civilian promotion chain to a reasonable level of responsibility and working till the age of 65/66. Dare I say it, regardless of rank, you would be almost foolish to stay in.

As for the 40'ish year olds, I think a significant number would go at the 44 point if that date is to the left of the new policy start date and the rest will be looking to get out as soon as the jobs market will allow. No doubt, there will be lots of head scratching over the (previously unexpected) need to make a big life decision but this is the group that will be most drastically hit.

As for the future of the RAF, only the losers will stay past 38/44 with even worse leadership from above. They will probably be the same people who leave at 55 and sign straight on the dole, having spent their entire gratuity on reducing the mortgage.

Just seems to me like an amazing hole that Hutton/Govt/MOD have not taken into consideration. The Armed Forces Normal Pension Age will move from 55 to 60 to reflect the unique characteristics of their service but the retirement age will remain at 55. Surely, the 2 are inextricably linked?

Last edited by Party Animal; 8th Nov 2011 at 16:41.