PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Military Planning for Iranian Strike?
Old 8th Nov 2011, 04:25
rmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW regarding the discussions of Nuclear targeting of Eastern European cities and a suggestion that we should have some shame regarding this, since 1994 I have been closely associated with quite a number of former military and security types from former East European regime and had come, during the 1990's to understand the following;

1. The regimes in place were rather enthusiastic about supplying troops and military capability in support of their soviet allies.

2. One retired 2* who I worked with, had personally been involved in driving HGV vehicles through western europe gathering targeting information for soviet nuclear strikes.

Things may have changed and we are all friends now, but 20 years ago it was very very different and its wrong to assume that the population of eastern europe was a supplicant mass held hostage by the soviets.

However, despite the above counter argument to SAM's empathetic stance with the eastern europeans, I also happen to think that Israel is the most dangerous nuclear loose cannon around at the moment. A couple of years ago I was present at a conference where it was realistically postulated that Israel is the only nuclear power (pakistan and India included) where the technical possibility exists for the military to authorise a strike without referral to the politicians, that makes them very dangerous I believe.