PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - security, restore the balance of power
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2011, 22:20
Prober

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too Late

I am grateful for this being brought to our attention. However, the closing date for submissions was 7th Nov (on my computer anyway). I did not have time to study the document but I copy here one of the examples of security behaviour which have affected me. Others I submitted were too security sensitive to be displayed here, but this one certainly sums up my view.
I remember the day so well, many years ago now when, going out to the aircraft through Queens Bldg, we found someone sitting at a table and a notice "Security" on it. It was the old boy who used to stagger out early each morning and raise the flag on the airport building. I asked him what he had to do for his new job and his reply stuck in my mind: "Same as before, Guv, f all".
Ah, if only!

Considerations:

Dear Sirs,

I have been alerted to this opportunity to make ones views known about the security situation late on 6th November. Therefore I have had no chance of working my way through all the documentation. However, after 40 years in aviation, 25 in …/.., I do have an opinion.

My view is that a huge amount of time and expense could be saved through targeting likely 'difficulties'. I quote examples of my experiences.

1. I was going through LHR on holiday with my family. We have 9 children. On this occasion they were aged between about 3 and 16 and they all had their holiday kit packed neatly in mini rucksacks. The security man asked me to open my briefcase. The first thing he picked out and examined was my company identity card (LHR). He asked if I was still flying and I confirmed. He then asked if we were going on holiday and I confirmed. He then, with a supercilious smile, told us to empty all the children's rucksacks and all our hand luggage for a lengthy search. Being ex military I was able to bite the bullet and decide to do it and complain later. This took nearly 20 minutes. What a fatuous and stupid waste of time and resources. If he worked for my company his future would have lasted about 5 minutes.