PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2011, 15:40
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the thanks folks. For convenience, I'll link to my original "weekend sim research" post here:

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/46062...ml#post6793521

@xcitation - Having conferred, we loaded extra fuel so that the FMGC showed MAX ALT FL379. C of G was 32% MAC. The ROD in our experiments maxed at approx 6,000ft per minute, with the VSI needle turning amber in the PFD. One of the reasons I hope someone will perform a later experiment will be to see how leaving the recovery till later in the sequence will affect the ROD, and hopefully also find out how a 40% MAC CoG will affect things. The caveat here is that the later you leave it, the further outside the tested flight envelope you go, and the more divergent the sim's performance from the real thing will become.

@AZR - Initially, autothrust dropped to Thrust Lock. We pulled the thrust levers back to match the thrust, but as we moved them the thrust increased slightly. The TRE then deliberately staggered the TLs slightly to induce a roll to the right which we trimmed out with rudder and the slightest touch of aileron.

After the initial NU pitch increase (induced with approximately half back-stick, as in the DFDR traces), we triggered a very short "G" induced stall warning as we climbed, then when the real warning sounded continuously (as happened in the AF447 scenario) we applied TOGA and held 10 to 15 degs pitch on the sidestick - during which full deflection was required in order to come close to maintaining it - as I said, the nose wanted to come down naturally if I released pressure for even a split-second.

Hope this helps!

Further details I've just been reminded of - the stall stabilised at approx 180kts IAS on the sim control with the nose-up trim at 3 degrees (the A320 hard limit). With full nose-up trim the stall was similar, but stabilised at approx. 160kts IAS. The Stall Warning was not only clear, but so loud that the TRE had to cancel it with the Emergency Cancel button in order for us to hear each other. On the second (full nose-up trim) experiment, all I had to do was briefly glance down to my left to see the trim roll forward - smoothly and *very* quickly - following recovery via sidestick pitch down.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 7th Nov 2011 at 16:08.