PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2011, 11:40
WHBM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr A Tis
4 x a week LHR-YVR against BA & AC ? They would probably have more success on MAN-YVR where they would only be against Air Transat.
The MAN-YVR has always been massive right back to the Wardair days.
Always been bottom market for revenue out of Manchester though - and I speak as one who more than once was on good old Wardair on exactly this route on a 747 (stopping also at Prestwick but 95% were from MAN). And they've always been summer-only schedules, rest of the year minimal or no service, which has always suited Canadian charter carriers whose peak time is winter, taking the snowbound down to the Caribbean etc

In recent times I've been on BA LHR-YVR, and have noticed the extent to which my seatmates were (like me) business rather than VFR travellers. Mining industry, film industry, ocean shipping, computers. A completely different market. I agree Virgin are not going to do well in this market with 4 times a week. Times when this worked for business travellers have gone, especially when all your competitors are daily (I hear BA are going up to double daily nonstop to YVR).