PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yak42 crash, Russia
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2011, 10:56
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone inadvertently pushed the brakes, and the braking power didn't allow to lift off, then the full power was selected, both pilots started pulling the yoke, it didn't help.

I said this crash would be a brake application problem. But rather than being a neurological problem, that caused the brake application, this may be a simple fear/inexperience problem.

With a load of ice-hockey players, the t/o weight may well have been more than the loadsheet suggested. Thus the take-off roll was rather longer than expected. Thus the fearful f/o starts to unconsciously press on the brakes as the end of the runway nears - just like a passenger in a car might do in the footwell of the passenger seat, when his wife is driving.**

Result - unannounced application of brakes and a further retarded take off speed.

We are getting quite a few basic handling problems, mostly it has to be said by the new generation of f/os. I still think that rushing f/os through to a commercial with just 200 hours and bugger all light aircraft/gliding experience is the root of many of these problems. I think a compulsory 3-week course in gliding should be instituted. For the sake of £2,000 (yes, that is all), many of these incidents could have been averted.

Air France - inability to diagnose that 15 degrees of pitch at 36,000 ft is not desirable.
India - lost control in the cruise, while capt was in toilet.
Japan - opening the door with the rudder trim knob.
etc: etc:

** Sorry about that, ladies. ;-)