PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in New York Area.
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2011, 07:29
nick ritter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gav28

I was in Manhattan back in April and travelled to Panorama Flight Service at Westchester County Airport for a pleasure flight around Manhattan – the whole experience was fantastic

I had a car and the journey was less than an hour’s drive, although I understand there is a train station as well nearby which might be easier

I was very pleased with how good the school and planes were. I have nothing to compare them with in the US as this was my first flight in America, but it was a very enjoyable experience

We rented a C 182, which was almost brand new, came with a Garmin 1000 and all the toys etc (a first for me) and the rental cost was comparable to less than what I pay to rent just outside of London (for older planes without the latest avionics)

I was amazed at the numerous airports up the coast with an ILS that we could practice on (for free) and then equally amazed at how they let you fly down the Hudson, along the Manhattan skyline, over the Statue of Liberty and I understand back over central park (although I didn’t manage central park due to a Yankee game that placed some restrictions on these flights)

The one noticeable difference to what I am familiar with at my club just out of London was that the American school charges you per hour of the flight instructors time (in my case an English bloke who works from the school). So if you book a 9 to 12 slot you will pay for 3hr of his time (even if you only manage a 1.5hr flight) – no issues here, as long as one is aware of it before hand

The other noticeable difference was the distinct lack of club atmosphere. Those apart – I was very pleased with Panorama

Good luck in Manhattan

Nick