PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Qantas grounded effective immediately.
Old 7th Nov 2011, 03:40
DrPepz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aseanaero:

On paper it may look good cost wise but then you have to factor in how much 'unscheduled delays' from customs , the maintenance facility staff and other people who can and will make life difficult. These are the realities of most low cost Asian countries.
Yeah I don't quite work in aircraft maintenance but for our work in China, we outsourced work for project management, and did not factor in the costs for "gifts" and "relationship management". Which can easily double the cost of your work. If you don't gift the airport fire safety officer something, he won't approve your drawings. If you don't gift customs something, they would never give you an airside pass. Small little things like that which can ruin your entire project.

This is the reality in Asia excluding SIN and HKG. Even the Singaporeans and Hong Kongers themselves get burnt all over Asia. (Having worked for Singaporean corporations myself, my bosses used to be so utterly and truly shocked when they realised that Vietnam and China were not as straightforward as Singapore.