PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2011, 03:20
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pps: Dad was fitter in the FAA during the war. Apparently he joined up as a 16 year old seaman but was found on the dockside at Pompey with his head under the bonnet of a truck when a burly RAF Sergeant, charged with recruiting trainees for the Air Arm said 'ello ello, just the kind of lad we need, sign here young man and join the greatest bunch of aviators the world has ever seen'. He did, became a Leading Air Mechanic and worked on Seafires, Corsairs, Albecores and Swordfish.
Bravo!

It was during one shoot in North Wales that SPEY made it to 20,000 feet - well 19,150 ..
Ah well, you've beaten my ceiling then which was 17,800ft in a 206L pulling out of Porgera goldmine in Papua New Guinea. The 206 does get a little sloppy at those altitudes! Was your ascension related to SPEY's role as a comms craft for your lady friend?

Tarman: I think this thread probably thrives on such drift! (And Senior Pilot's well worn tolerance!)

More AgriCopters ...

Bell47 Lincolnshire c. 1980's

I'm sorry to say that I have failed miserably in my attemp to decyper the registration of the above Bell. Its something like G-BOWI/J etc.

A Hungarian registered Alouette II (SA318C) ha-ppi-ly douses a field in the region of Székesfehérvár c. 2009

HA-PPI demonstrating the Alouette II's chameleon-like ability (and aesthetic symmetry) in accommodating spray gear as though it were a natural extension of her airframe!

And ..

A Puma from the Argentine hospital ship Bahia Paraiso (painted white in accordance with the regulations of the International Red Cross) alights on the temporary helideck of the good ship SS Uganda during a repatriation flight for wounded Argentine soldiers. June 1982