PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - security, restore the balance of power
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2011, 23:44
Shiny side down

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to echo the sentiments of my colleagues- security has become a disgrace.

I, like many, felt bemusement at the 'increased' measures brought in at a certain major airport, which resulted in quite a number of numpties being employed to fill posts, but with little oversight, except by other numpties.

I have watched incredible levels of abuse meted out to unsuspecting foreign visitors. (obviously, constantly monitored by everyone from the DFT down (and there is a price to pay for their non-compliance!))

I have similarly seen and experienced wholesale protected persecution of local crews, by the same numpties, who, for whatever reason are venting their resentment on flightcrew and cabin crew. (why behave in such a manner, when legislation dictates that someone must fill the post, and therefore, receive a salary they might otherwise not have received)

There is no doubt that there are a lot of good people in airport security, their existence predating the current hysteria. And the worst of the perpetrators are not in the majority- but the damage they do is disproportionate.

I firmly believe the current situation is becoming a risk to, rather than an aid to, security. And this view is ALSO shared by a number of security personnel who can only ensure compliance.
Situations like this will certainly bring out the worst in some- whether it is security staff, or crew, or other airport staff.
It's become an industry able to generate and feed off, it's own paranoia.

No doubt, the better educated of the crazies (the real enemy we are meant to be on our guard against) are sitting back and revelling in the mayhem that has been created.