PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Qantas grounded effective immediately.
Old 6th Nov 2011, 23:03
peuce

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Qantas doesnt seem defined as being the parent company or the airline
The Qantas Sale Act 1992 defines "Qantas" as:

Qantas means Qantas Airways Limited, as the company exists from time to time (even if its name is later changed).

My view is that the "intent and spirit" of the Act prohibits similar actions on the part of its subsidiaries, however, the "detail" of the current Act appears not to.... or at least it's debatable.

Therefore ... we have the Senators' proposed amendment ...

So, it's really now up to the Government ... to decide if it wants to allow Qantas the latitude it demands, with all the associated National issues that creates ... or to reign it in, also with many associated Corporate issues.

My view is that the "spirit" of the Act was known when it was privatised and that the management, after conducting their due diligence, should have created their business plan, based on the implications of the Act.

My further view is that, if the current management can't operate the Company successfully, within the confines of the spirit of the Act, then they should step aside for an alternative Team.

Last edited by peuce; 6th Nov 2011 at 23:13.