PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Static takeoff vs rolling takeoff
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2011, 17:52
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stilton

"It is more advantageous, even on a short runway to do a rolling take off, the benefit of keeping your momentum going rather than having to accelerate from a dead stop is considerable in runway distance used."

What are you basing this statement on?

This is certainly not the case in any aircraft I have flown, and I can only imagine that the larger the aircraft, generally the longer the spool-up time and the higher the rotate speed thus the "benefit" of carrying some speed onto the runway is even less effective.

We were often very limited, and it is definately perferable to take a very small radius turn onto the centre line, thus giving max runway. To carry any useful speed onto the runway, the cut has to be very acute. This plus the spool-up time adds up to a lot of runway wasted.

Some of the military transport aircraft I have flown were not perf A, and I can tell you for a fact that 100% on the brakes works a lot better than rolling, leaving aside the extra benefit of getting a long hard look at the Ts and Ps at high power before committing to a take-off which was not going to end well if one donk failed after V1.