PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female Passenger, 25, 'groped airline steward after drinking pint of whisky'
Old 6th Nov 2011, 17:12
Lemain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely. There would be times where I would be the exact same. Which is my point exactly. If we can have double standards, why can't that male FA make a complaint about what happened without fear of being accused of being OTT when a similar situation with a man groping a woman would not draw the same general response?
Keeping in mind that we're discussing this as an academic case -- none of us were there and the only info we have is from the Daily Mail

There were two 'reactions' -- or maybe three, I suppose?

1. The FA's reaction
2. The Senior FA and Captain's judgement (i.e. involve officialdom, the Law)
3. The Magistrates who decided they did not have the powers needed to punish the perp.....who might now go to Crown Court for a decade in pokey (I'm sure we'd ALL agree that would be inappropriate and hope for a sane judge or recorder).

Finally, there is the potential sanction of being banned from flights. For a young South African lady who's life is mainly in the UK that could be a horrendous punishment, far, far, greater than your average holiday flyer.

The entire story, from start to finish, has fuzzy edges. Note also that she's said to have had a pint of whisky. Who served it or measured it? The people who objected to her inebriated behaviour?

I could be wrong, but I suspect that this young lady is not going to be any threat or embarrassment to anyone in the future -- she and hers must be mortified, I think? How many 'nudge-nudge, wink-winks' is that girl going to suffer from -- she'll need at the very least a new hairdo!

It's good to debate these things....clears the air and flags up how others feel. It's been a good thread.