PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canberra Bomber
Thread: Canberra Bomber
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2011, 16:23
Tinribs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canberra Safety Speed

Much has been made for many years of the seeming gap between rotate and safety speeds

If we remember that safety speed is defined by full power and the Canberra doesnm't need anything like that to fly, especially the later models, one could readily create a new lower safety speed by throttling back on the live engine. Of course you have to make up your mind up prior to the event this is what you were going to do and don't waste time deciding which engine had failed throttle them both back

I did several Canberra tours including 85, 100, 360, TP at the MU, 39 and RAE Bedford. Throughout those years we lost about a crew each year to emergency handling problems. Sometimes on the approach single engine. I had one myself at Leconfield, my nav was Laurie Davies, we were lucky but Laurie died in a similar accident out of Wyton.

His accident was photographed by a git called Geof Garratt and the photographs published twice of Lauries body on fire in a gutter. We were not pleased

On the PR9 and the SC 9 we launched with 85% RPM, about half thrust, got the gear up and then put the rest of the power on as we passed safety speed