PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US General Peter Fuller fired as Afghan training chief
Old 6th Nov 2011, 07:43
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jig Peter
But this was another far-away country of which much of Whitehall knew nothing, and most of the then meeja quietly ignored.
Peter, I don't know that much about the Malayan Emergency except it was held to be a model for counter-insurgency operation although I suspect it was not as portable as it had been thought to be.

On Confrontation, it was certainly a far-away country but it was certainly not ignored. I have studied parts of that campaign and Dr David Easter's book throws much light on it. It used GCHQ and Misinformation Disemination to a degree and, for the time, massive forces. Off the top of my head, around 50,000 personnel. I know that fighters, bombers, MPA etc all streamed down the route in a rapid reinforcement. Although this denuded NATO for a time they returned to UK having proven that Plan Addington would work.