PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam Airlines (info please)
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2011, 10:22
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Come on guys I don't know what you're smoking, but there is no way that Jetstar Pacific (or any Jetstar airline), Air Asia, Tiger or any other "low cost" operator on earth, pays anything like VAC. That is just straight up B.S. and you know it, I don't even have to quote the figures, anyone who's interested can go straight onto PPJN and check them out. Especially when you consider the basic for VAC is a 6 + 2 contract and all of those others are either 4 or 6 weeks leave per annum - you'd have to be on a 6+1 or 10+1 contract with VAC to make it comparable in terms of annual leave and hours flown. In which case your basic with VAC as A320 skipper would be around $US13,000 or $14,000. VAC is multiple thousands of dollars ahead it's not even close, even before you factor cost of living in a place like Singapore.

NAS, Flydubai, Air Arabia, EY / EK / QR / take your pick of the sandpit : they are all between $12 - $14 K total package for LHS. So really the choice is between a hot boring third world country where a beer costs $10, or an interesting third world country with a quite nice climate, where a beer costs .30 cents.

"Several Hong Kong airlines" - I call B.S. on that one too, unless you are talking about the Cathay "A" or "B" scale which is long gone. The only way into CX/KA now is a cadet S/O. Hong Kong Airlines doesn't pay anything like as much as VAC.

Korean Air - very similar salary wise, and the 8 days off consecutive / month is pretty cool, it's probably the "other" gold plated long term contract job out there, along with VAC. If you can pass the 80% fail rate line training, then I wish you all the best

Asiana - according to their own website, total package for A320 F/O is $6500 and captain $10,500 - so not even close. Long haul is even further behind.

ANA - yep I'll give you that - pay is comparable to VAC and in captain positions, might be slightly more. F/O positions, looks like a bit less. And as we all know, the cost of living in Tokyo is quite similar to 'nam

Don't get me wrong I'm all in favour of a pay rise and if they give one I'll take it gladly, but there's no point acting all cool and bitching about how low the pay is compared to what else is out there, because the facts don't support the bitching.