PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2011, 08:41
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Retired F4, those remarks I made are not in any way personal and are absolutely meant to be general - i.e. applicable to anyone. I am sorry if you felt offended but here the offence is strictly in the eyes of beholder. Most of your questions have already been answered, too bad that besides having open mind, answers also require considerable foreknowledge of matters aeronautical to be understood. Somehow I don't think the answers given don't support the theory of "making sidestick input based on G feel".

Can we agree on that bending the facts to suit pet theories is not bound to be particularly productive if our aim is to truly understand what really happened?

The only thing I found in your post that has not been answered yet:

Originally Posted by Retired F4
On which box? Which values?
Airbus FCOMs & AMMs, 2.5/-1G clean.

I have absolutely nowhere stated that I've found the reason for AF 447 catastrophe, claiming that I wrote so is severe misinterpretation. I've put forward theory I think currently fits with the facts as we know it. If anyone have a facts that are contrary with it, please post it, it's not about proving my or yours or anyone else's notion. It's about finding what is right, not who is right.

If this investigation gets wrapped up with "Pilot pulled for reasons undetermined" that would be a real failure. What made him pull must be brought to light.

Originally Posted by Machinbird
It is difficult to get the aircraft out of a stall when it is trimmed right up to the edge of the stall or beyond, particularly with a THS type aircraft.

Do you really think that just because the aircraft functioned just the way the designers set it to do in some obscure corner of the envelope, it is perfectly OK?
Who gives a part of a rat that the tail is attached to about what I think? This is the way our local universe, with its laws of aerodynamics, is structured. Yo want to go fast, high, far and heavy? It's a no-go without powerful THS. DP Davies book "Handling the big jets" has excellent treatise on why we need powerful stabs and how to handle them. Brief summary:
Originally Posted by David Pettit Davies
In dealing with the consequences of having a variable incidence tailplane one basic fact must be kept in mind - it is very powerful.

(...)

The enormous power in variable incidence tailplane can be good servant when required but an impossible master when not required.
If you suddenly got an idea that the aforeqouted sentence somehow validates your notion that autotrim is lethal, a) perish the thought b) read the following sentence. Theorizing about particular features of any design without knowing and understanding the basic principles behind it is extremely unlikely to be meaningful. Not limited to THS. Not limited to aviation.

Originally Posted by CONFiture
Nice admission for someone who fought so hard to state otherwise …
My apologies, I keep forgetting that these are open fora so I have to keep discussion dumbed down to high school level for everyone to understand. You seem to understand that my statements "I do not fly by feel" and "I try to fly smoothly" contradict. Well, it is just not so. I do try to fly smoothly but not by the seat of the pants but by making small, measured inputs and crosschecking their effects against that big, bright attitude indicator in front of me. Leveling off without lifting the pax off their seats is best done by making small pitch change rate and that is done by looking primarily at the attitude indicator, crosschecking with altimeter and vario. Definitively not by using vestibular sense - it is last guard telling you you're doing something wrong but inflight it cries "wolf!" too often. Every instrument rated pilot must know the technique and use it, especially those who made it to widebodies, e.g. Airbus 330.

Originally Posted by jcjeant
Hide informations from the public .. how it's called ?
I would suggest reading Edgar Allan Poe's "The Purloined Letter" for an answer to that.

Not much is hidden, especially not the salient parts. The inability of some to recognize what is in plain view is quite ordinary but combined with their penchant for airing conspiracy theories gives spectacularly amusing results.