PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paul Phelan 's latest
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2011, 23:53
Paul Phelan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul Phelan

Blackhand, I rarely get involved on this site but you obviously haven't read my analysis. If you take the trouble to read the last few pages on aviationadvertiser.com.au you will find that with the exception of the low flying allegations CASA's entire case was based on the proposition that Quadrio was flying "aerobatic" manoeuvres, and that was based on analysis of the videos by various CASA "experts". Quadrio didn't even recall the particular flight but I know (because I've been there) that flying in that environment you sometimes spend half your time dodging formations of migratory birds so bird encounters are the norm and you don't remember each one individually. And while they were scratching through the videos looking for evidence, it was staring them in the face; they actually stopped it at the 32 second point to measure the bank angle and STILL didn't see the birds. I found the birds on the second run because I wound it back to see what the apparent smudges on the windscreen were. The two paragraphs you quoted, and many more, were full of scorn and derision for the bird evasion proposition, and were the basis of what has now been shown is a totally incompetent and negligent process that has cost this mature and stable pilot three years of abuse, $80,000 in legal fees and loss of three years income. Have a look at the video on our site and see if you can spot the birds. If you can't, don't make a habit of flying over the Great Barrier Reef belw about 10,000'. The birds are in a two-second sequence starting at the 30 seconds point. I think you should consider posting something on this thread when you are thus enlightened.

Paul Phelan

Last edited by Paul Phelan; 5th Nov 2011 at 00:15.