PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A warning from another mode of transport
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2011, 17:37
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
The family of the woman who died, have said:
The family of a grandmother killed in the Grayrigg train crash blamed Network Rail today for her death. They said they held the firm responsible for the death of Margaret Masson after a jury at her inquest found a set of badly-maintained points caused the 2007 train derailment in Cumbria.

Her son George Masson described as a "scapegoat" the overworked engineer who admitted forgetting to check the points, but who had warned Network Rail bosses months before the crash about safety concerns.

Network Rail, which is responsible for track maintenance, was also facing calls for a public inquiry into its handling of the rail network and possible criminal charges.
Network Rail 'to blame for Cumbria rail crash death' - Home News - UK - The Independent

Then they nail the big points:
"The one that tried to make changes lost his job, his pension, he was not listened to from above," Mr Masson said. "Before I knew anything about this I wanted to take his head off his shoulders. "Now I totally respect him. He's got my utmost respect for what he tried to do.

"It's been swept under the carpet. They have not learned from Potter's Bar. "He's the only one who has shown any remorse or integrity."

Ah yes, they did not learn from Potters Bar crash (2002) which was also people cutting corners on maintenance.

We are fortunate that the airline world is run by superhumans who never cut corners in pursuit of profit ...