PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2011, 13:15
captain_salman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all !

Thought of sharing few more images taken today, the first key image points three colour arrows to let you know where I have captured photographs.

This one is taken where yellow arrow points, this is where the mighty Hawkers used to be parked once now turned into a car park.

View facing west, same car park area... very ironic while I was standing on this old field I wondered how many loyal RAF officers would have proudly walked on the same area I am standing upon!

This field is where the blue arrow points, far west apron I believe and probably the same area where a Twin Pioneer of 152 Squadron was parked in one of the pictures earlier in this thread!

The old hangar where the green arrow points, can anybody recognise this? I am thinking this is the same place where 78 Sqn's group photo was taken in 1968 photo posted earlier in this thread ?

When I peaked through the gates for what's inside, I could some very old equipments and mini cranes all rusted! Clearly belonging to the late Imperial Airways era!

Unique piece of British history still preserved in the heart of Sharjah! Mind teaser really...the lower left side you see white car is where I had dug.

This is what I found after digging many inches, traces of aircraft engine oil (most likely from RAF era) and an old British Petroleum cap and an old piece of cloth used for cleaning!

Side view of the hangar, can anyone enlighten whether this aluminium plates are from the RAF era or not?

West corner of the hangar adjacent to the mosque, does anyone remember these blue iron rods seen in the 60s?

Gangway door of the hangar on the west side, had anyone been through this gate?

This old remains of the officers quarters or offices? behind the hangar is what I was talking about, room with a pin board still on the wall! And a lavatory remains on the right side, broken walls on the sides, the roof markings on the wall remind me of their phases during different times!

More towards the left is this old door now sealed from inside, the broken room walls also visible, this is ghostly really... its like diving down the wreck of RMS Titanic and looking at the remains of the Dining Salon entrance and comparing how it was in 1912! I am sure many of you would have gone down the memory lane this very moment!