PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Club
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2011, 12:11
foldingwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh go on then! But it's your Grouse this year, Jindy, we drank mine last year because you left your bottle on the train!!!!!! We've talked about this!

The Club - A grand and good value for money establishment in a prime location in the centre of London endowed by Lord Cowdrey for the officers/retired officers of the Royal Air Force. Retired officers pay £131 to be members in 2011 and this will rise to £134 in 2012 - a mere pittance at £11.17 per month whether you use it regularly or, perhaps, biannually like me. I doubt many retired officers cannot afford it and most of the 'old boys' that I have come into contact with in my 42 years membership were 'junior officers' who served during the war and, on demob, went off to seek their fortune - and did!

Corporate entertainment? From my experience as a committee member in the late '90s, I recall that no corporate event was permitted if there was a prior Service need! So, in truth, if the room is available and BAe or whomsoever want to pay the going rate for it - better to profit than to lose by cutting off one's nose to spite one's face! At the end of the day, it can only benefit the members, the Service and industry by being able to impress foreign governments (for example) by hosting them in such splendour.

Foldie

PS. It's your bottle, Jindy